01 Nov New Privacy Laws
Updated privacy principles have been introduced in Australia on 12 March 2014. It is very important that you review your current privacy policies to ensure that you comply. In a nutshel,l a common-sense approach will always keep you out of trouble.
- Never message to people that are not part of your database and have consented to receive messages from you.
- If you are communicating with your database ensure that you have their express permission to do so. If you aren’t sure, please check with your employer, department head, group head or franchisor
- You must always identify the originating source of the message eg trading name and a contact number
- If you are sending a marketing message, you must include originating source, contact number and Opt-out instructions.
- Opt-outs can be in the form of a STOP reply or a contact number that the sender can contact to request removal from your database. If you are using the STOP reply option, you must ensure that the web inbox reply option is selected in your MessagePort online sending system. The system will automatically prevent you from sending to this number unless they are manually removed from the Opt-out list
- Examples of how this could be worded can be as follows;
a) Reply Stop option – at the end of your message simply enter Opt out? Reply STOP
b) Opt out Contact option – at the end of your message simply enter Opt out? 98761234 (your phone number)
For more information on the Privacy laws see link below to The Privacy Fact Sheet